Of Puppies and Wild Raspberries

Several types of common Image via Wikipedia
Today as I walked AppleJax, one of my puppies, about the yard I noticed in the small wooded area at the back of our yard three or four wild raspberry bushes nestled within a thicket of weeds and vines. I saw many red raspberries and a few blackberries. Through mindlessly browsing the web I looked up both raspberry and blackberry (wikipedia, of course) and confirmed that they are related. I thought that a blackberry was just a ripened red raspberry, and this could be the case. Perhaps a ripened raspberry is dark, like a blackberry.

I've included some photos of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. This interesting thing is that none of these are actually berries. Blackberries and raspberries are what is termed an aggregate fruit of numerous drupelets. Feel free to click and read all about aggregate fruit and drupelets.


I am fascination with semantics and information. I use a program called CMapTools to create concept maps. Here is a sample of what I mean:


Zemanta Pixie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brainstorming, Mind Mapping, Curio

OS X Yosemite: Breathing new Life into my Old, Faithful Companion

Quilling and Chilling