Skip to main content

Imagination

I have been trying for months now to design a newsletter for Scrapbooker's Dream, and nothing has come to me.  I think I no longer possess imagination, which for me is usually a horrible insult--the last person who said this to me wound up in an imaginary hospital after I imagined beating him senseless.  But if someone were to say this to me now, I'd probably just agree and walk away because I'd probably not have the imagination to return a scathing retort.

Anyway, I use Apple's Pages '09 which is part of it's office suite, iWork '09.  You can start a new document from scratch or use one of a number of different templates which including fourteen newsletter templates.  Now I don't know if it's the title of these newsletter templates (e.g. Collector, Green Grocery, Real Estate, Extreme, etc.) that prohibits me from thinking beyond their 'intended' use.  In fact I should be able to simply look at the structure while ignoring the content and imagine something crafty, but alas, my brain just doesn't seem to want to work.

Create one from scratch?  Are you...I mean am I kidding?  Well, maybe this ain't such a bad idea.  I have no idea how to create one, and just trying to dissect and butcher one of the templates would just lead to a big mess and I would just get horrible frustration and depressed.  Creating one from nothing, however, is more like me.  I never bother to read manuals or instructions, and rarely do I start from an example. I usually just jump in head first (which in itself causes a whole mess of other problems), play around with the features and come up with something that doesn't resemble anything I had tried to imagine.  Perhaps this is the best way.  Maybe with nothing but a virtual, empty canvas on the screen my imagination will come back to me. Then again when I stare at an empty page in my sketch book trying to imagine what I might draw, nothing ever any good comes to mind and most of the time I just close it, put away my pencils and watch television.  All day, in fact, until I just get too tired of watching and so then I go to bed, the dogs and I yawning and tossing about to find a comfortable spot, and sleep, dreamless and at peace.





Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brainstorming, Mind Mapping, Curio

I use this really cool Mac OS X  (I mean, is there really anything better than a Mac?) software by Zengobi called Curio.  While it lacks many of the things I would like to see in such an application--you really can't go by what I write here because what I want hasn't yet been imagined, except by me of course and I am too lazy to do anything about it--it has great potential and I think that if Zengobi has the vision it can become even more powerful which is really cool.

Part of what it gives you is mind mapping, but unlike mind mapping tools that are all about just mind mapping, Curio gives you a blank canvas onto which you can drop any kind of resource such as images, documents, web pages, etc.  And you can organize all of these sorts of things as mind maps or structured lists.  Or you don't need to do that at all.  You can just be free to layout everything randomly.



It is also a project management application, but it looks nothing like any project management software.  Th…

OS X Yosemite: Breathing new Life into my Old, Faithful Companion

So the other day I wrote that my MacBook seemed to run a little slower and use more memory.  What's strange is now that I've been using it, it's actually running noticeably faster.  It still takes up more memory, but not that much more.  It's like Yosemite has breathed new life into my aging companion.  There is probably something I can do about the memory, too.  What my Mac really needs is more space on the hard drive.  I have some serious cleaning to do.

Quilling and Chilling

Perhaps it's because I own a scrapbooking and papercraft store.  Perhaps it is the artist within.  Perhaps it's sheer boredom as I suffer this long period of employment drought.  But whatever it is, I've decided to learn more about papercrafts and especially something called quilling or paper filigree.

I'm not quite sure why I find fascination in such things.  I am a computer geek, programmer, software developer, etc.  It must go back to my childhood and my fascination with creating arts and crafts.  As a budding artist my bud was snipped from the tree of art, and I never did pursue it. But I love color.  I love how to mix it to create new colors, how to place complimentary colors together, how to match and blend and create things with color.

The tools and the techniques of quilling are deceptively simple.  I say deceptively because although it appears at first that you are simply rolling paper around a slotted rod, forming the rolled paper into one of a few basic shapes…